Director of Sport
A vision for Eton Sport
- Work collaboratively to forge a clear vision for the future of all sporting activities at Eton;
- Articulate that vision both internally and externally with clarity, vigour and enthusiasm;
- Ensure that Eton sport is inclusive and provides opportunities for every pupil at the right level;
- Create the conditions for top teams to thrive without this distorting our overall programme;
- Act as an ambassador for Eton sport both local and nationally, with a view to widening collaboration and partnership;
- Promote our plans with potential donors and build enthusiasm for the future of Eton sport.
- Ensure that our safeguarding responsibilities are front and centre of all we do;
- Manage risk in the school’s sporting programme, ensuring that risk assessments are carried out and updated in conjunction with the College’s health and safety officers;
- Deploy our team of professional coaches and sports staff, both employed directly and as contractors;
- Oversee the staffing and timetabling of the school’s sporting programme, ensuring that it dovetails with other users of the school’s facilities;
- Work closely with the Sports Operational Manager to support the school’s programme of sport;
- Take the lead in developing colleagues’ skills and aptitude as sports coaches by leading a culture of continuing professional development and providing training opportunities and courses to support the school’s sporting aims;
- Oversee the appropriate provision of support services, such as catering and parking, to support the school on match days.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), a cycle to work scheme, counselling and legal advice services, school fee reduction (means-tested) and free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities.
This role comes with the benefit of school-provided accommodation.
The Ideal Candidate
Skills and Competencies
You will be an effective leader and manager with a strong background and breadth
of experience in sport and the provision of sport – whether at school and/or professional level.
You will be a confident and self-reflective leader who:
- Is well organised and is capable of juggling a broad portfolio of tasks giving due weight to each;
- Is a very effective communicator, able to enthuse and motivate;
- Has an ongoing and demonstrable commitment to their own professional development;
- Has the capacity to be both flexible and firm, and the ability to know when
to be which;
- Has a positive attitude and approach to change and development;
- Has a strong sense of self-awareness and willingness to learn;
- Has a balanced sense of perspective and a sense of humour.
Lead an exciting and progressive sporting programme at a world leading school and shape its future for the 21st century.
We are looking for an experienced individual who understands first and foremost the value of education through sport. As a school that believes in sporting excellence, we have a strong coaching culture among our staff and an ambition to serve children of every ability. The successful candidate will be central to the development of this ethos.
Please note: Initial interviews will take place week beginning 9th March 2020 and final interviews will take place week beginning Monday 16th March 2020.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.