Teacher of French
As a Teacher of French, you will:
- Teach across the age and ability-range, extending the most able and supporting those who find the subject challenging
- Contribute more widely to the department through, for example, enrichment activities, administering internal examinations, interventions to support individuals or groups of pupils or outreach activities
- Seek to develop your own professional practice and development in conjunction with your Head of Department
- Follow the school’s assessment and reporting processes and attend Parent’s Meetings as required
- Contribute to the co-curricular life of the school as agreed with your Head of Department.
Eton - Town and School
Eton College is a friendly community with a family atmosphere. We are situated in a beautiful Berkshire town that offers excellent local schools and amenities. Historic Windsor is just across the river, and London is easily accessible by rail or motorway. There is enormous collegiality at Eton. As one new teacher said: “This is my fourth school and I’ve never been made to feel so welcome”. Colleagues are also genuinely interested in the scholarship of their subject and enjoy a level of autonomy in their teaching that allows them to develop their own effective style.
This role comes with the benefit of school- provided accommodation for you and your family. Many of our teaching staff and their families are accommodated at the school in flats and houses around Eton. Accommodation is provided free of rent, council tax, buildings insurance and general maintenance costs, so staff only need to pay for their utilities and other bills.
We have a structured and well-funded professional development programme, in addition to a culture of sharing best practice informally within departments. For all new staff, there is an induction and mentoring programme and a tailored programme for new Heads of Departments. Teachers joining the profession are supported as they find their feet, and anyone wanting to gain QTS or PGCE qualifications is given significant help and resources.
The school also has a generous salary scale and benefits of service, including:
• Teachers’ pension scheme
• Bike-to-work scheme
• Counselling and legal advice services
• School fee reduction (means-tested)
• Eyecare plan
• Free use of sports and leisure facilities
• Discount at local shops and amenities
• Subsidised Masters’ Common Room
The Ideal Candidate
You will be a reflective classroom teacher who:
- Has a good honours degree
- Is passionate about their subject
- Has strong interpersonal skills and can build relationships and collaborate with a wide range of people
- Commitment to their ongoing professional development
- Shares Eton’s holistic vision of education
- Embraces developments and innovations in teaching and learning
- Is interested in the welfare and pastoral well being of young people
- Has a positive attitude and approach to change and development
- Has a balanced sense of perspective and a good sense of humour
Be part of a challenging and exciting learning environment, within lessons and beyond.
We are looking for a graduate to teach French throughout the school. Both experienced teachers and those new to teaching are encouraged to apply. This is a large, diverse, inclusive and collegial department of informed, passionate teachers of language and culture. We all teach across the range of abilities, ages and specifications.
This is a full-time post starting in September 2020.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an environment that values and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.