Teacher of English (1 Term)
- Teach across the age and ability range, extending the most able and supporting those who find the subject challenging;
- Contribute more widely to the department through, for example, enrichment activities, administering internal examinations, interventions to support individuals or groups of pupils or outreach activities;
- Seek to develop your own professional practice and development in conjunction with the Head of Department;
- Follow the school’s assessment and reporting processes and attend Parents’ Meetings as required.
Co-Curricular and Pastoral
The successful candidate is not expected to undertake a boarding-house duty or act as a tutor. There is no requirement to contribute to the co-curricular life of the school. However, if the successful candidate wishes to be involved in co-curricular activities it may be possible to come to an individual agreement, subject to the needs of the school. All staff are expected to be committed to the safeguarding of all young people.
Eton - Town and School
Eton College is a friendly community with a family atmosphere. We are situated in a beautiful Berkshire town that offers excellent local schools and amenities. Historic Windsor is just across the river, and London is easily accessible by rail or motorway. There is enormous collegiality at Eton. As one new teacher said: “This is my fourth school and I’ve never been made to feel so welcome”. Colleagues are also genuinely interested in the scholarship of their subject and enjoy a level of autonomy in their teaching that allows them to develop their own effective style.
This role does not come with accommodation.
We have a structured and well-funded professional development programme, in addition to a culture of sharing best practice informally within departments. For all new staff, there is an induction and mentoring programme and a tailored programme for new Heads of Departments. Teachers joining the profession are supported as they find their feet, and anyone wanting to gain QTS or PGCE qualifications is given significant help and resources.
The school also has a generous salary scale and benefits of service, including:
- Teachers’ pension scheme
- Bike-to-work scheme
- Counselling and legal advice services
- School fee reduction (means-tested)
- Eyecare plan
- Free use of sports and leisure facilities
- Discount at local shops and amenities
- Subsidised Masters’ Common Room
The Ideal Candidate
You will be a reflective classroom teacher who:
- Has a good honours degree
- Is passionate about their subject
- Has strong interpersonal skills and can build relationships and collaborate with a wide range of people
- Commitment to their ongoing professional development
- Shares Eton’s holistic vision of education
- Embraces developments and innovations in teaching and learning
- Is interested in the welfare and pastoral well being of young people
- Has a positive attitude and approach to change and development
- Has a balanced sense of perspective and a good sense of humour
Be part of a challenging and exciting learning environment, within lessons and beyond.
We are looking for a well-qualified graduate to teach english throughout the school. This is a large, diverse, inclusive and collegiate department of informed, passionate teachers of language and literature. We all teach across the range of abilities, ages and specifications.
This post is for one term, starting in September 2020.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an environment that values and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.