Sports Facilities Assistant
Eton College have an exciting opportunity for a Sports Facilities Assistant to join its busy Sports and Swimming Pools Department. They will be responsible for providing a high quality, friendly service and a safe environment to all our users. The post will have particular responsibility for the health and safety of users and the cleanliness of the gym, pool and all-weather surfaces for all visitors to the centre. The ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people in order to provide advice and guidance is key. A valid National Pool Lifeguard qualification is a must for this role and any other fitness or sports qualifications would be a great advantage.
- Ensure that all health and safety duties are carried out in accordance with NOP/EAP procedures and following procedures in the Staff Information File.
- To take responsibility for the fitness facilities when on shift ensuring the user’s safety and correct use of facilities.
- To take responsibility for the swimming pool when on shift ensuring the user’s safety and correct use of facilities.
- Act as first contact for all sports facility users.
- To actively support the Manager with implementing new services and facilities.
- To carry out the responsibilities of the post showing regard to the Eton’s policies and procedures as well as additional guidelines as laid out in the Centre’s Staff Information file.
- Carry out lifeguard duties overseeing the general safety and behaviour of the public to prevent injury, drowning, misuse and damage to facilities.
- Undertake a range of duties in wet, dry and other areas including the Gym, all weather surfaces which will include; control of facilities (changing rooms, showers and toilets); and assembly and dismantling of equipment (such as lane ropes and diving blocks).
- To work on a shift basis to ensure adequate staffing levels to cope with the changing customer and operational demands of the Sports Centre.
- To report any maintenance issues via PINKS system.
- Undertake other duties as requested by the Sports facilities Manager on days/events that fall outside of the normal schedule. (Fourth June)
- Any other duties reasonably requested.
- To contribute to the continuous improvement of the services of Eton college.
- To comply with relevant Codes of Practice, including the Code of Conduct and policies concerning data protection and health and safety.
- To adhere to security controls and requirements as mandated by the Eton policies, procedures and local risk assessments to maintain confidentiality, integrity, availability and legal compliance of information and systems
- To promote equality, diversity, and inclusion, maintaining an awareness of the equality and diversity protocol/policy and working to create and maintain a safe, supportive and welcoming environment where all people are treated with dignity and their identity and culture are valued and respected.
- A commitment to safeguarding within the school and to adhere to Eton’s safeguarding policy and procedures at all times
- To understand Eton duties and responsibilities for safeguarding children, young people and adults as they apply to the role within the school.
- Deliver high quality and responsive services wherever they are based, as well as having the ability to adapt to sometimes differing processes and expectations.
- Attend staff training on a regular basis (currently once a month) to practice practical skills and to cover department issues.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
- Knowledge of the importance of Health and Safety procedures in relation to lifeguarding a pool.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of why Diversity & Equality is important.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of why Customer Care is important.
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbally) with a wide range of people, for the purposes of providing advice/guidance, as well as information and assistance on services offered and the operation of equipment.
- Ability to maintain and keep records up to date.
- To be able to demonstrate team player attitude and the desire to help and assist others when needed.
- Taking responsibility and being accountable for achieving the best possible outcomes – a ‘can do’ attitude to work.
- Taking a team approach that values collaboration and partnership working.
- Ability to be able to work independently and show a proactive attitude whilst adhering to instructions given by Sports Facilities Manager.
- Knowledge of the importance of Health and Safety issues with reference to sports/leisure activities.
- Knowledge of the importance of Health and Safety within a school environment.
- Experience of working within a leisure environment.
- A valid National Pool Lifeguard qualification.
- A First Aid qualification is desirable.
- A recognised fitness qualification or sports/recreation or management qualification is desirable.
- A Pool plant qualification is desirable.