Senior Sous Chef
We are looking for a Senior Sous Chef to assist the Head Chef in managing the food production in our school canteen, whilst supporting our team of chefs, kitchen porters and kitchen assistants.
Due to the needs of the school and the department, we may interview suitable candidates before the closing date. This job may also close early if a large number of applications are received. You are advised to submit your application as early as possible to avoid missing your chance to apply.
- To be a very visual and approachable culinary figurehead for Bekynton at Eton College;
- To be responsible for the timely and efficient preparation of all core feeding services whilst on shift within Bekynton and associated catering areas and venues within the College;
- To assist in menu planning, ensuring the food production meets both Sodexo’s standards of Fresh Food from Scratch and Eton's expectation of delivering the very best food and service within the independent school sector;
- To be a real foodie and inspire others around you to get excited about food and culinary creativity;
- To advocate Food Safety and Health and Safety across all aspects of the business;
- To be the kitchen Health and safety lead; liaising with the Bekynton Health and Safety champion and ensuring all documentation is completed and collated; to conduct Health and Safety training; to be responsible for the kitchen Health and Safety risk assessment; to have a zero tolerance towards accidents;
- To ensure that food allergen procedures and processes are followed when on shift;
- To ensure that all Food Safety and Health and Safety daily due diligence paperwork is completed to the standard required;
- To be an Eton ambassador; recognise the ethos and vision of the College in order to be able to support the student environment and to optimise their performance, whether that be in the classroom, sports field or any co-curricular activity;
- To be financially aware and astute – and work with the Head Chef to ensure commercial value in purchasing, giving value for money within budget parameters and to optimise cost saving and revenue generating opportunities to achieve budgets; to manage food wastage costs;
- To inspire, train and develop the kitchen brigade; to be involved in their appraisals and development plans; to address shortfalls in performance in a timely and professional manner; to assist with resource management (i.e. rotas) when required;
- To assist the business at Dorney Lake when needed and build working relationships with the team there;
- Support and develop the hospitality business working closely with the senior hospitality team; undertaking the lead chef role for functions when required;
- Support the Head Chef with environmental projects and play an active role towards the objective of reducing our carbon footprint
- To represent Eton and/or Sodexo at external events, including competitions;
- To undertake any reasonable request from the Head or Exec Chef, member of the management team or Catering Director;
- To undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required of you in the post;
- Commitment and promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion;
- All positions at Eton are classed as ‘regulated activity’ as per the Keeping Children Safe in Education 2021 guidance, therefore a good understanding of safeguarding procedures is essential;
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, including by not limited to, completing safeguarding training as required, and ensuring any safeguarding updates issued by the College are read and understood;
- Understand and comply with procedures and legislation relating to confidentiality.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
- Qualified to an NVQ Level 3 or equivalent; Food Safety Level 3; Health and Safety min Level 2; Food Allergen certificated training;
- An accomplished chef with a broad kitchen skillset with previous experience working at a similar level; ideally in an environment of volume catering;
- Able to communicate effectively with customers, clients and staff;
- Excellent people management skills;
- Flexible and able to work under pressure;
- Organised and methodical in their approach to work;
- Genuinely interested in and have a passion for great food;
- Able to take pride in work and food produced;
- Positive in their approach to work;
- Able to use their own initiative;
- Able to work effectively as part of a team;
- Able to demonstrate good interpersonal skills.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including; an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme (where applicable), free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discount at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
If you have any queries about the application process or any problem with submitting your application online, the Recruitment Team will be happy to help. Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to apply online, please do not hesitate to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org so we can make adjustments accordingly.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including reference checks with past employers, an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service and, where applicable, a Barred List, Prohibition and EEA checks. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to complete a DBS Disclosure Application Form. Any information disclosed will be handled in accordance with any guidance and/or Code of Practice published by the DBS. The College is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore all convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered as “spent” under the Act) must be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College.