Do you have high levels of accuracy and attention to detail? Do you like protecting communities and others? We are looking for a confident and vigilant Security Officer, with excellent communication skills to ensure pupils, staff and visitors are safeguarded within a comprehensive security service.
You will thrive under pressure, be decisive and calm, whilst maintaining the highest levels of professionalism at all times. You will be enthusiastic, self-motivated and enjoy working as part of a team. Working across grounds of over 400 acres and around 400 school buildings, you will be flexible and able to work on you own without direction. Duties include extensive patrolling around the College grounds, historical buildings, boarding houses and public spaces. The role involves regular Control Room duties. The Security Team also provide a large degree of daily support to the College community in an array of operational aspects to ensure that all internal and external activities are supported to the highest standards
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Supporting the security department and operating all the functions in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures and daily briefings - including CCTV monitoring, intruder and fire alarm management, access control, visitor management, use of radio systems, management of keys and recording details of incidents through reports and daily occurrence books as appropriate
- To conduct direct patrolling (internally and externally on foot or using vehicular means), attend incidents and help coordinate situations with guidance from the Control Room or Security Supervisor. Attend and pro-actively deal with any security-related incidents, as directed by the Control Room or line managers and accurately record all incidents in a concise and appropriate format. Operate security-related and personal protective equipment following departmental procedure (ie radios and body worn cameras), ensuring the equipment is clean and stored correctly, reporting any faults to the Deputy Head of Security
- Deal professionally with victims of crime and individuals in confrontational situations. It is expected that individual’s committing crimes at the College will be observed and detained at the Security Officer’s discretion awaiting the arrival of the Police.
- Maintain a good level of physical fitness to ensure that you can actively and physically fulfil your security responsibilities.
- Undertake staff training as required and receive guidance and instruction from the Head of Security, Deputy Head of Security and Security Supervisor when necessary.
- Carry out specialist and bespoke security duties in connection with events and VIP visits i.e. Fourth of June celebrations, CCF Tattoo and St Andrews Day
- To be smart and presentable
- Be enthusiastic and methodical in your approach to all aspects of work. Treat all people with respect and dignity
- Exercise tact and diplomacy when needed
- Show tolerance and understanding
- Commitment to equality, diversity & inclusion
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children
The Ideal Candidate
Skills and Competencies
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
- Full, UK Driving Licence
- Be qualified or agree to be qualified with Professional Guarding Skills
- Current SIA CCTV Licence is desirable (training is available)
- Hold a 4 Day First Aid at Work certificate or be prepared to train for this qualification
- Excellent communication skills to enable effective dialogue with colleagues, staff, visitors and where applicable, pupils
- Previous demonstrable operational leadership skills
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Good level of literacy, numeracy and telephone skills. IT literacy is an advantage.
- Organised and self-motivated, with a proven record for meeting targets and deadlines
- Able to perform well and remain professional whilst under pressure
- Well-developed problem-solving skills
- Reasonable physical fitness
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an environment that values and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.