Roaming General Cleaner
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Cleaning all designated spaces in line with the Service Level Agreements and expectations in place from time to time. For example this will include, but is not limited to:
- Sweeping, vacuum cleaning, dusting, wiping down surfaces and polishing;
- Cleaning showers, bathrooms and toilets, unblocking toilets if necessary (a plumber will be used for any complex issues), and making sure that toilet rolls and dispensers are full and working;
- Stripping and making beds, sending bedsheets to the Laundry once per week;
- Helping to send the pupils’ clothes to Laundry once per week;
- Emptying bins and putting out bins as required on refuse collection day;
- Using the appropriate powered equipment for tasks such as vacuuming, shampooing, scrubbing and polishing floors (training will be provided as required);
- Undertaking minor maintenance tasks, such as changing lightbulbs or tightening screws;
- Moving small items of furniture and mattresses as required to enable efficient and effective cleaning;
- Performing cyclical cleaning duties, such as steam cleaning carpets, deep cleaning bedrooms, offices, classrooms etc. This type of work normally takes place during the school holiday periods;
- At all times carrying out duties in line with COSHH regulations and the school’s relevant policies, including Security, Health and Safety, and Fire Prevention;
- Keeping an eye on the general maintenance of the school. If you identify something that needs to be fixed or repairs that need to be made which cannot be carried out by the Cleaning team, this should be reported to your Cleaning Supervisor;
- Doing your best to establish good relationships with pupils and encourage them to be tidy – for example when working within a boarding house reminding them to hang up their suits and turn off electric equipment when they’re out of the room;
- Informing the Dame of the boarding house immediately if you notice any issues with a pupil, so that they can be effectively supported – for example, if they seem unwell, you find something in room that should not be there, or you think they are being bullied;
- Keeping up to date with the College’s Safeguarding and Child Protection procedures;
- Undertaking any other reasonable duties to help facilitate the smooth running of the school.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), a cycle to work scheme and free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities.
The Ideal Candidate
Skills and Competencies Required
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- A flexible approach to work and a ‘can do’ attitude;
- Great attention to detail and pride in your work – you must be keen to deliver the highest possible standards and understand the impact your work has on pupils who are away from home, especially those who have recently joined the College and who are in unfamiliar surroundings;
- To enjoy working as part of a team and happy to get stuck in and support your colleagues;
- To be able to work unsupervised and use your own initiative;
- Good verbal communication skills;
- To be punctual and well presented, with good time management skills;
- The ability to follow cleaning schedules, understand the appropriate use and application of cleaning chemicals and understand COSHH regulations;
- Ideally you will have worked in a similar role, or have previous cleaning or housekeeping experience, however this is not essential if you have the right attitude and you are keen to learn.
Our Roaming General Cleaners have an important part to play in making pupils’ experience of College life as good as it can be; the work that you do helps to ensure that the school is as welcoming and homely as possible. As a General Cleaner you will be responsible for undertaking general cleaning duties throughout the school, such as cleaning classrooms, offices, pupil bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, common areas, and pavilions. Whilst you may primarily work in one area of the school, you are expected to be flexible and to perform cleaning duties in any part of the school upon request.
This role is for 40 hours per week, working:
- Monday to Friday between 7am and 3.30pm
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.