Roaming Cleaner (Term-Time Only)
We are seeking Cleaners to join our team in Central Cleaning.
You will be responsible, under the direction of the cleaning supervisor, for cleaning designated areas within educational premises to ensure that they are kept in a clean and hygienic environment. Areas include, for example, Boarding houses, Schoolrooms, Offices and Pavilions.
From time to time you may be required to help set up examination rooms (i.e. moving tables and chairs around the school) working as part of a team. There will be duties in our Central Cleaning stores sorting cleaning materials and getting them ready to be distributed around the School
Please note that this role is Term-Time Only and includes working weekends. Hours will be discussed at interview.
- Cleaning, washing, sweeping, vacuum cleaning, emptying of litter bins, polishing, dusting of all fixtures and fittings of the designated areas within the educational establishment, including toilets, bathrooms and shower areas if applicable.
- Using where appropriate the correct powered equipment for vacuuming, shampooing, scrubbing & polishing of floor areas (training in use of equipment can be provided). Specialist cleaning knowledge is preferred.
- The movement of items of furniture to enable efficient and effective cleaning.
- Duties may vary between term time and vacation time
- All duties must be carried out to adhere to the Security, Health & Safety and Fire precautions policies including COSHH compliance.
- To perform other such duties as may be reasonably requested by the Cleaning Supervisor or Managers within the designated areas.
- Must have an interest in historic buildings and ideally have an understanding of the National Trust manual of maintenance of historic buildings.
- Must be prepared to undertake training in cleaning as directed.
- Attend meetings and training sessions as required.
- Any other duties reasonably requested.
The Ideal Candidate
Skills and Competencies Required
You may enjoy this role, if:
- You have a flexible approach to work and a ‘can do’ attitude;
- You enjoy engaging with young people, you are keen to develop good relationships with pupils, and you will always act in the pupils’ best interests;
- You have great attention to detail and take pride in your work – you’re keen to deliver the highest possible standards and you understand the impact your work has on pupils who are away from home, especially those who have recently joined the College and who are in unfamiliar surroundings;
- You enjoy working as part of a team and you are happy to get stuck in and support your colleagues;
- You’re able to work unsupervised and use your own initiative;
- You have good verbal communication skills;
- You are punctual and well presented;
- You have worked in a similar role, or have previous cleaning, serving or housekeeping experience, however this is not essential if you have the right attitude and you are keen to learn.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including; an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discount at local retailers and businesses
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.