We are looking for a meticulous and dedicated person to join us as a Physics Technician. With a strong background in physics, which you may have gained either in education, academia or industry, you will support practicals and demonstrations for Masters in the Physics Department.
Working in our newly refurbished Queen’s Schools, you will have an outstanding knowledge of Physics, and be able to use your organisational skills to work as part of a dynamic team of technicians within the Department.
This post is 38.75 hours per week working term time only for 40.6 weeks of the year which includes three days before and after every term and two weeks of Summer Schools. Please note this will include Saturday mornings and occasional late working.
- Setting up and clearing away demonstration apparatus and practical work
- Working with others in the department to acquire a wider range of technical skills, and passing his or her own skills on to others
- Familiarising him or herself with new equipment and demonstrations
- Working safely within the guidelines laid down by the senior technician
- Stock-keeping and organising display materials
- Construction, maintenance and repair of equipment
- Commitment to equality, diversity & inclusion
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children
The Ideal Candidate
- Good knowledge of the relevant science subject
- Strong IT skills
- Good levels of literacy and numeracy
- The ability to work flexibly as part of a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Excellent organisational skills
- Enthusiastic, energetic, flexible with a pro-active attitude
- Positive approach to change and development
- Close attention to detail
- A sense of humour and a genuine understanding and liking of our students
- Approachable, diplomatic, open and honest
- Dedicated, conscientious and hard working
- Commitment to the ethos of Eton College
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an environment that values and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.