Personal Assistant to the Deputy Head Academic and Deputy Head Co-Curricular
- Proactive management of all incoming communications into the offices of the Deputy Head Academic (DHA) and Deputy Head Co-Curricular (DHCC), which include, but are not limited to, email, post and telephone enquiries. You will be required to filter communications, draw attention to urgent or time-bound issues, draft responses and respond directly where appropriate.
- Managing the diaries of the DHA and DHCC, ensuring they are aware of their commitments and are well prepared – e.g. they have all necessary documents they need for their meetings, they have attended relevant pre-meetings where necessary etc.
- Preparing meeting agendas, taking accurate minutes of meetings, and supporting the DHA and DHCC to follow up on action points.
- Arranging travel, accommodation and visas for the DHA and DHCC as required.
- Managing expenses for both the DHA and DHCC.
- Manage the payment administration for the Chronicle.
- Undertaking regular filing, ensuring there is an effective filing system in operation at all times.
- Maintaining all relevant office systems, including data management, and ensuring the office facilities are in order to enable the efficient functioning of the DHA and DHCC’s office. This includes ordering and maintaining stationery, toner and office equipment.
- Meeting and greeting all visitors at various levels of seniority, providing refreshments where necessary.
- Providing general administrative support, such as typing reports, amending documents and policies, creating presentations, proofreading paperwork etc.
- Assisting the DHA with the administration of the process by which pupils make their academic choices each year and with the use of the data for tracking pupils’ academic progress.
- Assisting the DHA with the production of publicity material (printed and online) about the academic life of the school. This may include drafting documents and working closely with the Communications Manager where relevant.
- Assisting the DHCC with the creation and maintenance of the Co-curricular calendar.
- Administer the Busk Fund
- Working closely with the HR team to support teaching staff recruitment, for example by arranging interviews and following up with candidates post interview.
- Working closely with the other PAs and secretaries to ensure the senior management of the school have appropriate administrative support in place at all times.
- Undertaking any other reasonable tasks as requested to ensure the effective running of the DHA and DHCC’s offices and school as a whole.
- Administration of school prizes.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), a cycle to work scheme and free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities.
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrable prior experience working in a PA role within a fast-paced organisation. If you also have experience as a ‘team PA’ or supporting more than one individual, this would be particularly advantageous.
- A minimum of Intermediate level expertise in the Microsoft Office suite of applications, with particular strengths using Outlook, Word, and Excel. Advanced level experience would be advantageous.
- Typing speeds of around 80 words per minute.
- The proven ability to successfully manage a variety of competing priorities whilst ensuring that nothing ‘slips through the cracks’.
- Excellent communications skills (both written and verbal) with the ability to give constructive feedback to your line managers and to flex your style depending on the needs of the audience.
- The proven ability to produce accurate documentation, including letters and emails, with the ability to proof-read and edit others’ work.
- Experience of taking minutes; shorthand would be desirable.
- A naturally positive, confident and proactive approach with high levels of personal resilience.
- The ability to work well under pressure.
- Flexibility, including flexibility with hours of work.
- Previous experience of working in an academic environment would be desirable.
We are looking for a proactive and organised individual, with meticulous attention to detail, to join us as a Personal Assistant, supporting two board-level positions: The Deputy Head Academic and the Deputy Head Co-Curricular.
With experience of working in a PA role within a fast-paced organisation, you will be pivotal in managing incoming communications into the offices of both Deputy Heads, as well as proactively managing their diaries.
You will be an excellent communicator and flexible in your approach.
Your working pattern will be 43.6 weeks during the year, and you will be paid in 12 equal monthly instalments.
Your working hours will vary during term times and school holiday periods, as follows:
- Term time (32 weeks) – 8.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday with one hour for lunch.
- School holiday periods (6 weeks) – 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday with one hour for lunch
- 5.6 weeks of holiday. Please note, annual leave cannot be taken during school term periods or for the three days (Wednesday to Friday) during A level results week (normally the middle week of August). You must use all your entitlement (including any lieu days) during periods of school holidays. If a bank holiday falls during a school term period, you will be required to work this day and you will receive an additional day’s holiday in lieu.
- Any remaining weeks, save as outlined in your annual leave provisions below, are deemed to be non-working weeks.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.