Pastry Chef/Demi Chef de Partie
We are currently looking for a Pastry Chef/Demi Chef de Partie with a hunger to learn and grow within our impressive and supportive team at Eton College.
As Pastry Chef you will be responsible for the creation, decoration, and presentation of desserts such as cakes, pastries and pies while as a Demi Chef de Partie you will assist in all areas of the kitchen for breakfast, lunch and dinner, ensuring the kitchen areas are clean and tidy. You will maintain Health & Safety standards while providing excellent customer service to boys, staff and visitors.
Your main location of work will be Beynton, the main dining facility at Eton College but may be required to work in other areas from time to time as required.
Please note that we may interview suitable candidates before the closing date as we are keen for this role to be filled. If this is the case the advert may close early, so please don't delay if you are interested!
- Prepare a wide variety of goods such as cakes, cookies, pies, bread etc. following traditional and modern recipes.
- Assist in creating new and exciting desserts to renew our menus and engage the interest of pupils, staff and visitors.
- Decorate pastries using different icings, toppings, etc. to ensure the presentation will be beautiful and exciting.
- Monitor stocks for baking ingredients such as flour, sugar, etc. and make appropriate orders within budget.
Chef de Partie
- To prepare, cook and serve any food as delegated, ensuring the highest possible quality.
- Adhere to agreed standards for food preparation and presentation of deserts are met at all times.
- Follow company procedures for food temperature checks, food labelling/dating, cleaning schedules and hygiene regulations, ensuring the necessary data is recorded in a timely and accurate manor.
- To remove any hazards and make safe any defects in the kitchen or equipment. Report any issues to the Senior Chef on duty.
- Undertake relevant training relevant to the role.
- Commitment to equality, diversity & inclusion.
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
- To undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required of you in the post.
The Ideal Candidate
- NVQ Level 2 or equivalent
- Food handler’s certificate
- Great attention to detail and creativity
- Good communication skills
- 1 year + experience working in this type of role
- The ability to work under pressure in a fast paced kitchen
- A passion for learning on the job
- Experience working well within a team
- Self-motivated and able to work on own initiative
- Experience working in an academic environment
- Knowledge of sanitation principles
- Knowledge of nutrition
- Working knowledge of baking with ingredient limitations (pastries that are gluten free, sugarless etc)
A competitive salary of £21,967.75 (£24,833 full time equivalent) plus lots of holiday!
What else we can offer you:
- 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution)
- Free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities, including an indoor gym and swimming pool, 40 football/rugby pitches, a 2km rowing lake, 19 cricket pitches and 50 tennis courts.
- Subsidised lunches during term time
- On the job training in function work and fine dining, from dinner for 6 to canapé parties of 250 people
- All staff receive a certified allergen awareness course
- Basic health and safety training
- Enhanced Maternity/Paternity scheme
- Free eye care vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounts at local retailers and businesses
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an environment that values and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.