We are looking for a Pastry Chef to ensure the prompt and efficient preparation of all meals within Bekynton, the College's central dining facility. Duties will include providing high standard of food for pupils/staff at the College plus hospitality and event catering. The ideal candidate must have previous kitchen experience in a similar role/environment, NVQ level 2 or equivalent with the ability to work under high pressure in a fast paced kitchen.
Due to the needs of the school and the department, we may interview suitable candidates before the closing date. This job may also close early if a large number of applications are received. You are advised to submit your application as early as possible to avoid missing your chance to apply.
- To prepare, cook and serve any food delegated as your responsibility ensuring that the highest possible quality is maintained and that agreed standards for food preparation and presentation of desserts are met at all times.
- To adhere to company procedures in regards to temperature checks, food labelling and dating, cleaning schedules and hygiene regulations at all times and ensure that all records of such are kept.
- To assist the Head pastry chef in the overall checking and maintaining of your work area and to assume overall responsibility in their absence.
- To liaise with the chef team with reference to possible improvements/difficulties in your section.
- To remove any hazards and make safe any defects in the kitchen or equipment and report any problems to the senior chef on duty.
- Undertake training and development relevant to the role.
- Commitment and promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion;
- All positions at Eton are classed as ‘regulated activity’ as per the Keeping Children Safe in Education 2021 guidance, therefore a good understanding of safeguarding procedures is essential;
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, including by not limited to, completing safeguarding training as required, and ensuring any safeguarding updates issued by the College are read and understood;
- Understand and comply with procedures and legislation relating to confidentiality.
The Ideal Candidate
- 2 years previous experience required at a similar level or; ideally in an environment of volume catering
- NVQ Level 3 or equivalent; Food Safety Level 3; Health and Safety min Level 2; Food Allergen certificated training
- An accomplished chef with a broad kitchen skillset
- Possession of a broad range of people management skills
- Flexible and able to work under pressure
- Organised and methodical approach to work
- A genuine interest in and passion for great food
- Pride taken in work and food produced
- Ability to own their own performance
- Positive approach to learning in the role
- Able to use own initiative
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with customers, clients and staff
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
If you have any queries about the application process or any problem with submitting your application online, the Recruitment Team will be happy to help. Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to apply online, please do not hesitate to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org so we can make adjustments accordingly.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including reference checks with past employers, an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service and, where applicable, a Barred List, Prohibition and EEA checks. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to complete a DBS Disclosure Application Form. Any information disclosed will be handled in accordance with any guidance and/or Code of Practice published by the DBS. The College is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore all convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered as “spent” under the Act) must be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College.