Key Tasks and Responsibilities
This list below covers the main Handyperson duties that will be required; however, this should not be considered as exhaustive and there may be occasions when you might be asked to carry out other duties or helping with House or other buildings projects.
- Minor repairs in boys’ rooms and House
- Loose door handles
- Ease windows
- Replace door furniture and window furniture
- Adjusting door springs
- Fitting door stops
- Tightening boy’s tables
- Re-hang curtains
- Testing of fire alarms
- Testing of emergency lights
- Changing light bulbs and diffusers
- Replacing tap washers
- Bleeding radiators
- Fitting plugs to electrical appliances’
- Painting and Decorating
- Replace toilet seats
- Maintenance of Bikes and Bike Shed
- Commitment to equality, diversity & inclusion
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), a cycle to work scheme and free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities.
The Ideal Candidate
Skills and Competencies Required
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
- Good basic knowledge of general DIY (see note below regarding DIY skills test)
- Ability to follow DIY and cleaning schedules within timescales
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing requirements and routines of the House
- To work well as part of a team and to be able to work alone and unsupervised
- Ability to use initiative within the role
- Ability to interact well with young people
- Good interpersonal skills; an ability to act with tact and diplomacy and under pressure, with a willingness and ability to develop working relationships with individuals from a variety of situations and backgrounds
- Punctual, reliable and fit to carry out the physical demands of the role.
In order to qualify for the title Handyperson, the post holder must have passed the Buildings Department general DIY skills test.
We are looking for a Maintenance Assistant to carry out routine internal and external maintenance tasks as allocated by the Buildings Manager across several Boarding Houses at the College.
This is a year round post working 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.