We are looking for exceptional Lifeguards to ensure a safe environment for all our pool users. You will be joining Eton at an exciting time, as Eton embarks on the next stage of embracing education through sport. We have brand new indoor facilities, including a new swimming pool and two sports halls. These all complement our fantastic current outdoor facilities, which include approximately 40 football/rugby pitches, a 2km rowing lake, 19 cricket pitches and 50 tennis courts.
Our Lifeguards will have particular responsibility for the health and safety of users of the pool and the cleanliness of poolside and related areas.
Due to the needs of the school and the department, we may interview suitable candidates before the closing date. This job may also close early if a large number of applications are received. You are advised to submit your application as early as possible to avoid missing your chance to apply.
This role does not attract Skilled Worker visa sponsorship.
- Ensure that all health and safety duties are carried out in accordance with NOP/EAP procedures and that procedures in the staff information file are followed;
- Enforcing water safety policies and pool regulations whilst on shift;
- Carrying out lifeguard duties by overseeing the general safety and behaviour of the users to help prevent injury, drowning, misuse and damage to facilities;
- Carry out lifeguard rescues when deemed appropriate;
- When on shift, full ownership of facilities; ensuring the user’s safety and correct use of our swimming pool and other facilities, such as changing rooms, showers and toilets and other communal areas;
- Setting up swim sessions, such as assembly and dismantling of equipment (ie. lane ropes and diving blocks or any other poolside equipment);
- To assist the Duty Manager in the opening and closing of the facility and preparing the pool for use;
- Ensuring Eton’s policies and procedures are followed at all times, as well as additional guidelines as laid out in the Centre’s Staff Information file;
- To contribute to the continuous improvement of the Eton Colleges services
- Attend staff training on a regular basis (currently once a month) to practice practical skills and to cover department issues;
- To comply with relevant codes of practice, including the code of conduct, and policies concerning data protection and health and safety;
- To undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required of you in the post;
- Commitment and promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion;
- All positions at Eton are classed as ‘regulated activity’ as per the Keeping Children Safe in Education 2022 guidance, therefore a good understanding of safeguarding procedures is essential;
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, including by not limited to, completing safeguarding training as required, and ensuring any safeguarding updates issued by the College are read and understood;
- Understand and comply with procedures and legislation relating to confidentiality.
The Ideal Candidate
- Knowledge of the importance of Health and Safety procedures in relation to leisure/ sports facilities.
- National pool lifeguard qualification is essential.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people, for the purposes of providing advice/guidance, as well as information and assistance on services offered and the operation of equipment.
- To be able to demonstrate team player attitude and the desire to help and assist others when needed.
- Ability to be able to work independently and show a proactive attitude whilst adhering to instructions given by Sports Facilities Manager
- First Aid at Work is desirable
- Previous lifeguard experience is desirable
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
If you have any queries about the application process or any problem with submitting your application online, the Recruitment Team will be happy to help. Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to apply online, please do not hesitate to contact us on email@example.com so we can make adjustments accordingly.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including reference checks with past employers, an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service, an online search and, where applicable, a Barred List, Prohibition and EEA checks. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to complete a DBS Disclosure Application Form. Any information disclosed will be handled in accordance with any guidance and/or Code of Practice published by the DBS. The College is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore all convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered as “spent” under the Act) must be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College.