Legal Assistant to the Bursar and the Clerk & Legal Advisor
We are looking for self-motivated Paralegal / Legal Secretary to proactively support the governance and legal function at Eton College.
Legal & Secretariat:
- Assisting with the preparation of papers for the Leadership Team, Regulatory and Compliance Committee, Resident Committee, Standing Committee and the Provost & Fellows (the Governing Body);
- Assisting with other legal projects (eg trade mark portfolio, data subject access requests);
- Preparing non-disclosure agreements, consultancy agreements and assisting with papers for appeal hearings;
- Maintaining professional memberships (ISBA, AGBIS, BSA, ISC) and distributing items of current awareness/professional updates to relevant individuals;
- Maintaining and storing in a logical, accurate and accessible manner and format all hard copy and electronic records of P&F-related business including papers, minutes, legal documents, policies, Register of Interests, Register of Training and visit records, etc and keeping such records up to date;
- Establishing rigorous electronic document management and archiving system for the Governance and Legal function.
Governing Body Induction and training:
- Assisting with the induction of new Fellows including preparing and distributing induction materials and organising the schedule for the induction of new Fellows;
- Making arrangements for P&F to attend internal training and working sessions and to visit College on a formal and informal basis;
Organisation and efficient operation of P&F and its committees:
- Assisting in managing the P&F and its committees, including scheduling and calling meetings, preparing and distributing agendas and meeting papers, making logistical arrangements for P&F Members and others to attend meetings;
Organisation and efficient operation of the Resident Committee (Rescom):
- Assisting in managing ResCom meetings;
- Coordinating the follow up from ResCom decisions and in particular liaising with visitors to the College;
- Recording minutes of ResCom meetings;
Intranet and use of IT:
- Assisting with the design, organisation and maintenance of the Legal pages of Eton’s intranet
Analysis and reporting:
- Preparing analysis and reports as instructed by the Clerk to P&F and Bursar, with particular input to the Nominations Committee;
EA duties for Bursar and Clerk including:
- Answering the telephone, diary management, expenses claims, ordering stationery, booking meeting rooms.
- Commitment to equality, diversity & inclusion
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children
Please refer to the attached job description for the full list of main duties.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
- Legal Secretary/ Paralegal experience: ILEX qualified or part qualified or the equivalent (eg paralegal or chartered or company secretary qualification)
- Background as legal secretary, paralegal, chartered or company secretary, school administrator or clerk to the governors
- Relevant experience providing administrative support to senior management level and undertaking high level administrative tasks
- Experience of regulatory framework relating to governance and charitable organisations
- Advanced MS Office skills: Word, Outlook, Excel and Powerpoint
- Familiarity with using intranets to disseminate information
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to prioritise conflicting requirements
- High degree of accuracy/attention to detail
- Knowledge of document management systems
- Self-motivated, able to take own initiative and able to work independently
- Logical, methodical, thorough and well-organised
- Conscientious, personable, confident and courteous
- Calm under pressure
- Diplomatic, trustworthy and discreet
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an environment that values and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.