Lead Eton Fives Coach
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Organise and lead a programme of individual and group Fives coaching for pupils throughout the Michaelmas and Lent halves.
- Coach all Fives players, including Eton and Holyport pupils in line with accepted modes and methods. (including playing with and against pupils).
- Work with other schools to select teams for school matches with assistance and input from the MIC, attend school matches and organise all House competitions.
- Organise and plan lessons based around the needs of the pupils and the intricacies of the sport programme.
- Be an integral part of the preparation and participation of our players in the National Schools Championships at the end of the Lent half/start of the Easter holidays.
- Coach or co-coach a Football or Rugby team in the Michaelmas half and a Cricket or Tennis team in the Summer half.
- Assist the MIC of Fives with the organisation of Fives on St Andrew’s Day.
- Work closely with the Sports Facilities Manager to ensure the effective management of the external use/bookings for the Eton Fives Centre.
- Liaise with the Sports’ Facilities Team and the Buildings Facilities Team over all aspects of the care of the courts and their associated facilities.
- Play a lead role in extending the reach of Eton Fives locally and nationally in conjunction with the EFA.
- Develop a community programme with local partners and primary schools to encourage engagement with ball sports.
- Run a community Fives club on a Saturday morning.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including; an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discount at local retailers and businesses.
The Ideal Candidate
Skills and Competencies Required
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
- An understanding of and commitment to the highest levels of pupil welfare.
- An understanding and commitment to the aims and ethos of sport at Eton.
- A strong background in Eton Fives coaching.
- Excellent organisational skills
- An appreciation of the need for flexibility and patience when coaching in a full boarding school.
- The ability to work with a variety of age groups – including primary age children
This role will work on an average of 35 hours per week over 39 weeks (i.e. school term time) normally 10am to 6pm, Tuesday to Saturday. Additional hours will be worked during school holiday periods, at a level and at times to be agreed with the successful candidate. Duties may include trips/tours. The salary will be dependent on the successful candidate’s agreed working pattern.
Eton has a strong tradition in Eton Fives. The school aims to provide the opportunity for all pupils to learn to play the game and/improve to the best of their abilities so that it will be a pleasure for life. It also is committed to delivering opportunities for the best players to compete at the very highest level. The Lead Fives Coach will be central to both these aims by providing coaching and support of the highest quality personally, and, as part of a coaching team. They will also have an integral role in the support and growth of Fives at Holyport College and in the wider local community. In order to achieve this, the Lead Fives Coach will work closely with the Master in Charge (MIC) of Fives and play an important part in the organisation, administration and planning of the game. The Lead Fives Coach will also be involved in the coaching and officiating of other team sports at Eton.
The start date for this role will be September 2020.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.