The Laundry Department consists of 24 members of staff operating state of the art equipment, the exception being a rare Collar machine dating back to the 1900’s. There are industrial sized washing machines and dryers, a steam powered shirt unit and ironer which processes bed and table linens. There is also a Butterfly machine that folds and stacks garments and a tunnel finisher for the drying of delicate items. The Laundry processes items for the pupils, boarding house staff, catering departments, summer schools’ students, the Bursary and many other departments in the College. The Laundry Department can process up to 50,000 items per week.
Please be advised this position is for:
- 31 Weeks per annum at 40 hours during term time (Monday-Friday from 8am to 4.30pm)
- 7 Weeks per annum at 39 hours (Monday-Thursday 8am – 4.30pm and Friday 8am-3.30pm)
- 6 weeks per annum at 27.5 hours during summer holidays (Monday – Friday 8am – 2pm)
- Working days include a 30-minute meal break.
The remainder of the time when the Laundry is closed will be unpaid. Salaries are however paid in 12 equal monthly instalments.
Principal Accountabilities Laundry Assistant:
- Sort dirty clothing on arrival at the Laundry
- Launder items ensuring they are cleaned to the highest standard
- To be able to operate all items of equipment once training has been given
- Sort and list items of clothing and linens for return to the boarding houses
- To ensure equipment is kept clean and report any equipment failure
- To be able to work quickly & accurately to ensure each day’s work load is completed
Principal Accountabilities Store Cover:
- Take delivery & check in cleaning product orders from our suppliers
- Pick orders for boarding houses and departments
- Stock checks as and when required
- Ensure the stores are kept clean & tidy
The Ideal Candidate
Skills and Competencies Required
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Good written and verbal communication skills are essential
- Efficiency & accuracy when completing tasks
- Good initiative
- The ability to lift heavy items
- The ability to work in a hot, busy atmosphere
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an environment that values and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.