We are looking for a Kitchen Porter to provide a cleaning and porter service to the Bekynton Kitchen, whilst maintaining correct levels of hygiene and Health & Safety.
Due to the needs of the school and the department, we may interview suitable candidates before the closing date. This job may also close early if a large number of applications are received. You are advised to submit your application as early as possible to avoid missing your chance to apply.
- Clean allocated pieces of heavy catering equipment using instructions and cleaning materials;
- Dispose of waste materials from catering areas to designated collection points;
- To keep the bin areas clean and tidy and organised;
- Operate industrial dishwashers and undertake manual washing up in all catering areas;
- Assist the front of house team with the flight dishwasher as required;
- Operate mechanical floor scrubbing and steam cleaning equipment;
- To maintain a clean working environment at all times, whilst maintaining correct levels of Health and Safety and following the relevant cleaning schedule;
- Undertake more deep cleaning tasks before short or long leaves;
- Undertake food preparation when required and appropriately trained and to ensure that all food is prepared in the environment with due care and attention (customers’ special dietary requirements, for example, nut, dairy or wheat allergies);
- To assist, as directed, at special functions, some of which may occur outside normal working hours;
- To undertake occasional duties outside the normal routine but within the scope of the position and the department’s activities;
- Attend meetings and courses as required, including the mandatory termly training days;
- Where required, undertake regulated activity, such as unsupervised contact with children, ensuring that safeguarding procedures are followed and providing safe and effective care at all times;
- Commitment and promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion;
- All positions at Eton are classed as ‘regulated activity’ as per the Keeping Children Safe in Education 2022 guidance, therefore a good understanding of safeguarding procedures is essential;
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, including by not limited to, completing safeguarding training as required, and ensuring any safeguarding updates issued by the College are read and understood;
- Understand and comply with procedures and legislation relating to confidentiality.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
- General kitchen experience;
- The ability to communicate effectively with customers, clients, and staff;
- Be able to work well under pressure and have the commitment to working hard in a busy environment;
- The ability to achieve performance criteria, with particular regard to Health and Safety and hygiene;
- The ability to use own initiative and work effectively as part of a team;
- Flexible approach to the role;
- Literacy and numeracy skills;
- Hygiene, Health and Safety qualification or equivalent would be advantageous but not essential.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
If you have any queries about the application process or any problem with submitting your application online, the Recruitment Team will be happy to help. Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to apply online, please do not hesitate to contact us on email@example.com so we can make adjustments accordingly.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including reference checks with past employers, an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service, an online search and, where applicable, a Barred List, Prohibition and EEA checks. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to complete a DBS Disclosure Application Form. Any information disclosed will be handled in accordance with any guidance and/or Code of Practice published by the DBS. The College is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore all convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered as “spent” under the Act) must be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College.