Do you enjoy cleaning and take great pride in your work?
If so, come and work for Eton College and join like-minded colleagues in our friendly Central Cleaning Team. You’ll be busy, the role will be varied and you’ll be working across the extensive beautiful historic buildings around the College, this may include; Boarding houses, pupil’s rooms, communal areas and offices.
The ideal candidate will enjoy working as part of a team who ensure our premises are cleaned to the highest possible standards. You will understand the importance of hygiene and understand how your work will impact on pupils who are away from home, all staff at Eton have a responsibility to act in the pupils’ best interests.
Positions are available all year round or term-time, either on a full-time or part-time basis. Please note, weekend work will be a requirement (Term-time working will equate to 28 weekends per year).
Previous experience in a similar role is desirable but if you are keen to learn and have a positive ‘can do’ attitude we want to hear from you!
Eton College prides itself on a warm and friendly community, where staff are valued and enjoy working in beautiful surroundings. Just some of the wide range of benefits we offer are;
- Pension - 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution)
- Unlimited access to Health & Wellbeing support for you and your family
- Comprehensive role specific training
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities
- Discounts at local retailers and businesses plus many more…
Due to the needs of the school and the department, we may interview suitable candidates before the closing date. This job may also close early if a large number of applications are received. You are advised to submit your application as early as possible to avoid missing your chance to apply.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Cleaning, washing, sweeping, vacuum cleaning, emptying of litter bins, polishing, dusting of all fixtures and fittings of the designated areas within the boarding house, including toilets, bathrooms and shower areas. This would include movement of items of furniture to enable efficient and effective cleaning;
- Supervise pupils’ clothes and laundry, sending pupil’s clothing and sheets to laundry once a week; check return of these items and report numbers of missing sheets and pillowcases. Make sure name tapes are sewn on all items of pupil’s clothing;
- Using where appropriate the correct powered equipment for vacuuming, shampooing, scrubbing & polishing of floor areas (training in use of equipment can be provided). Specialist cleaning knowledge is preferred;
- Commitment and promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion;
- All positions at Eton are classed as ‘regulated activity’ as per the Keeping Children Safe in Education 2023 guidance, therefore a good understanding of safeguarding procedures is essential;
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, including by not limited to, completing safeguarding training as required, and ensuring any safeguarding updates issued by the College are read and understood;
- Understand and comply with procedures and legislation relating to confidentiality.
The Ideal Candidate
Skills and Competencies Required
You may enjoy this role, if:
- You take pride in your work and pay great attention to detail, delivering the highest possible standards.
- You have worked in a similar role, or have previous cleaning, serving or housekeeping experience, however this is not essential if you have the right attitude and you are keen to learn.
- You understand the impact your work has on pupils who are away from home, especially those who have recently joined the College and who are in unfamiliar surroundings;
- You have a flexible approach to work and a positive ‘can do’ attitude;
- You enjoy working as part of a team and are co-operative, flexible and work collaboratively to support your colleagues;
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity/ Paternity scheme, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including, but not limited to, reference checks with past employers, an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (including Barred List information), an online search and, where applicable, Prohibition checks. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to complete a DBS Disclosure Application Form. Any information disclosed will be handled in accordance with any guidance and/or Code of Practice published by the DBS. The College is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore all convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered as “spent” under the Act) must be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College.