- Ensuring staff are dealt with fairly and consistently under the College’s procedures for discipline, grievance, absence management and capability.
- Build effective working relationships with staff at all levels, providing advice and guidance on a range of HR policies and HR related issues to support understanding and ensure effective communication of good HR practice.
- Pay administration: handling pay changes during the year, ensuring accurate recording of data on the HR Payroll shared database and timely information to line managers and the staff involved.
- Preparing appropriate contracts for the many and varied work patterns that exist at the College and reflecting changes in updated contractual paperwork.
- Dealing with HR or pay queries from staff ensuring a timely and supportive response is given.
- Keeping up to date on best HR practice and employment law developments.
- Undertaking other relevant duties as and when required to any client group. This may involve supporting during employee relations activities (disciplinary, grievance etc.), recruitment (e.g. interviewing and other selection activities) and reward (e.g. supporting the annual salary review process).
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), a cycle to work scheme and free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities.
The Ideal Candidate
This role may interest you if:
• You’re flexible – you’ll have to juggle lots of competing priorities so you’ll enjoy having lots of different tasks on the go, and you’re able to organise your time and to prioritise your to do list so nothing slips through the cracks;
• You’re a great communicator – you enjoy engaging with a variety of different people, you’ll always try to meet face to face or pick up the phone rather than email, and you are skilled at conveying complex information in a way that’s easy to understand;
• You’re happy to get stuck in and handle the administration and less glamorous tasks, as well as the more complex and visible ones;
• You enjoy working in a team – we’re a small team and we enjoy spending time together. We support each other as much as we can meaning we get involved in lots of different tasks, you’ll be keen to operate in the same way we do, and you’ll volunteer to get involved
We are looking for a proactive and highly organised HR Advisor to join our friendly and dynamic team. As an experienced generalist, you will have a sound working knowledge of employment law and be able to adapt your approach to ever-changing, complex and varied environments. You will advise managers on all aspects of employee relations – from flexible working, capability and grievances, to absence management, disciplinaries and restructures.
With strong communication skills, you will be able to establish credible relationships with a diverse range of people and influence key stakeholders to drive forward people-focussed solutions.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.