We are looking for a passionate and dedicated Groundsperson who is looking for a new opportunity that provides plenty of variety and challenges which allow you to learn, develop and enhance your skillset within an educational environment.
The successful applicant will be able to work independently as well as within a team to which they will help contribute to the day to day maintenance and setting up of the many different sports surfaces we have across the College which are listed below:
- 38 winter sports pitches
- 12 grass cricket squares
- 24 artificial cricket pitches/nets
- 56 tennis courts
- 4 artificial hockey pitches
- 9 hole golf course
Due to the needs of the school and the department, we may interview suitable candidates before the closing date. This job may also close early if a large number of applications are received. You are advised to submit your application as early as possible to avoid missing your chance to apply.
- Day to day maintenance of all types of sports surfaces and landscapes and assisting with the wider landscape when required;
- The creation, marking out setting up of playing surfaces;
- The safe use and operation of equipment and machinery used in grounds maintenance, such as tractors, ride-on mowers, hand mowers, leaf blowers, rollers and all other machinery associated with Sports turf preparation;
- Mowing, spiking, slitting, topdressing, fertilising, line marking, undertaking pitch repairs and all other maintenance of sports surfaces;
- To adhere to current Health and Safety legislation and best practice in accordance with the Colleges Health and Safety Policy Statement;
- To ensure own safety, and the safety of others who may be affected by your actions. Employees must follow instructions and co-operate at all times with their line manager to enable Eton College to meet its legal responsibilities. Employees must stop work if the nature of the situation involves a risk of serious injury to any person and must report any hazardous situation or defective equipment to their line manager without delay;
- To undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required of you in the post;
- Commitment and promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion;
- All positions at Eton are classed as ‘regulated activity’ as per the Keeping Children Safe in Education 2021 guidance, therefore a good understanding of safeguarding procedures is essential;
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, including by not limited to, completing safeguarding training as required, and ensuring any safeguarding updates issued by the College are read and understood;
- Understand and comply with procedures and legislation relating to confidentiality.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
- General knowledge of Grounds maintenance;
- Previous experience in a similar role;
- At least 2 GCSEs at grade C/4 and above (or equivalent);
- NPTC Tractor Driving Certificate;
- A minimum of Level 2 in Sports Turf Management or an equivalent;
- PA1 and PA6 Hand Held Applicator Certificate;
- PA2 Tractor Mounted Spraying Certificate is desirable;
- Knowledge of football, rugby, hockey, tennis, and preparing cricket wickets would be ideal
- Cricket pitch maintenance would be an advantage.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including; an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme (where applicable), free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discount at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
If you have any queries about the application process or any problem with submitting your application online, the Recruitment Team will be happy to help. Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to apply online, please do not hesitate to contact us on email@example.com so we can make adjustments accordingly.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including reference checks with past employers, an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service and, where applicable, a Barred List, Prohibition and EEA checks. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to complete a DBS Disclosure Application Form. Any information disclosed will be handled in accordance with any guidance and/or Code of Practice published by the DBS. The College is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore all convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered as “spent” under the Act) must be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College.