Working within a team of 30 staff you will be responsible for the grounds maintenance of playing surfaces and landscape to an exceptionally high standard. The ideal candidate will have general knowledge of grounds maintenance as well as previous experience within a similar role.
This is a year round post working 37.5 hours per week. Flexibility in hours will be required during peak times, particularly during the cricket season from April-June.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Day to day maintenance of all types of sports surfaces and landscapes and assisting with the wider landscape when required;
- The creation, marking out setting up of playing surfaces;
- The safe use and operation of equipment and machinery used in grounds maintenance, such as tractors, ride on mowers, hand mower, leaf blowers, rollers and all other machinery associated with Sport turf preparation;
- Mowing, spiking, slitting, topdressing, fertilising, line marking, undertaking pitch repairs and all other maintenance of sports surfaces;
- To adhere to current Health and Safety legislation and best practice in accordance with the Colleges Health and Safety Policy Statement;
- To ensure own safety, and the safety of others who may be affected by your actions. Employees must follow instructions and co-operate at all times with their line manager to enable Eton College to meet its legal responsibilities. Employees must stop work if the nature of the situation involves risk of serious injury to any person and must report any hazardous situation or defective equipment to their line manager without delay;
- To undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required of you in the post;
- Commitment to equality, diversity & inclusion;
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
The Ideal Candidate
Skills and Competencies Required
Relevant qualifications and experience to do the job competently:
- At least 2 GCSEs at grade C/4 and above;
- NPTC Tractor Driving Certificate;
- A minimum of Level 2 in Sport Turf Management or an equivalent;
- PA1 and PA6 Hand Held Applicator Certificate;
- PA2 Tractor Mounted Spraying Certificate is desirable;
- Knowledge of football, rugby, hockey, tennis, and preparing cricket wickets would be ideal
- Cricket pitch maintenance would be an advantage.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an environment that values and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.