General Assistant (Pantry)
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Making sure that the House is clean and sanitary by undertaking general cleaning duties to the high standard expected.
- Assisting the Chef/Assistant Chef to ensure that the kitchen, dining room and relevant common areas are kept to the standard of cleanliness required;
- Washing up after meals;
- Cleaning fridges and store cupboards;
- Setting up the dining room in advance of house meals, serving food and drinks as required;
- Bring food from the kitchen to the dining room and either serve the boys or assist the boys to serve themselves (depending on the meal) and clear away the dirty plates and cutlery as required;
You may also be expected to:
- Help the chef to prepare food and present the food
- Clean other areas of the boarding house as requested (including ablution blocks and pupil rooms);
- Whilst you may regularly work in the Kitchen and Dining room, the College needs all individuals working in our boarding houses to be flexible, so you may be asked to undertake other reasonable duties within the house;
- General Assistants (Pantry) are normally aligned to a specific Boarding House, however you may be asked to undertake the same role in another house, on either a temporary or permanent basis, depending on the needs of the College;
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), a cycle to work scheme and free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities.
The Ideal Candidate
Skills and Competencies Required
You may enjoy this role, if:
- You have a flexible approach to work and a ‘can do’ attitude;
- You have great attention to detail and take pride in your work – you’re keen to deliver the highest possible standards and you understand the impact your work has on pupils who are away from home, especially those who have recently joined the College and who are in unfamiliar surroundings;
- You enjoy working as part of a team and you are happy to get stuck in and support your colleagues;
- You enjoy engaging with young people and you are keen to develop good professional relationships with the pupils, and you will always act in the pupils best interests;
- You have good verbal communication skills;
- You are punctual and well presented;
- Ideally you will have worked in a similar role, however this is not essential if you have the right attitude and you are keen to learn
General Assistants (Pantry) are key roles within the College, and have an important part to play in making the boys’ experience of College life the best it can be. As a General Assistant (Pantry) you could be working anywhere within our boarding houses, but it is likely that you will spend most of your time working within the Pantry of a boarding house, helping to provide a full dining room service to our pupils. This includes undertaking general cleaning duties and assisting with Chambers and Messing Teas.
Please note: Full time and part time hours are available which also include weekends.
**Due to the college currently being closed, the recruitment process for these roles may take longer than usual. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.**
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.