General Assistant - Casual
Making sure that the House is clean and tidy by undertaking general cleaning duties to the high standard expected. These cleaning duties include, but are not limited to:
- vacuuming bedrooms, corridors and common areas;
- wiping down surfaces;
- cleaning the pupils’ bathrooms and toilets;
- washing walls, mirrors and skirting boards;
- cleaning windows;
- stripping and making beds, sending the bedsheets to Laundry once per week;
- assisting moving mattresses and small items of furniture;
- helping to send the pupils’ clothes to Laundry once per week;
- emptying bins and putting out bins as required on refuse collection day;
- cleaning kitchens and dining rooms to the standard of cleanliness required by Health and Safety legislation;
- assisting the Chef/Assistant Chef to ensure that the kitchen, dining room and relevant common areas are kept to the standard of cleanliness required;
- washing up after meals;
- cleaning fridges and store cupboards;
- setting up the dining room in advance of house meals, serving food and drinks as required;
- bring food from the kitchen to the dining room and either serve the boys or assist the boys to serve themselves (depending on the meal) and clear away the dirty plates and cutlery as required.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), a cycle to work scheme and free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities.
The Ideal Candidate
Skills and Competencies Required
You may enjoy this role, if:
- You have a flexible approach to work and a ‘can do’ attitude;
- You enjoy engaging with young people, you are keen to develop good relationships with pupils, and you will always act in the pupils’ best interests;
- You have great attention to detail and take pride in your work – you’re keen to deliver the highest possible standards and you understand the impact your work has on pupils who are away from home, especially those who have recently joined the College and who are in unfamiliar surroundings;
- You enjoy working as part of a team and you are happy to get stuck in and support your colleagues;
- You’re able to work unsupervised and use your own initiative;
- You have good verbal communication skills;
- You are punctual and well presented;
- Ideally you will have worked in a similar role, or have previous cleaning, serving or housekeeping experience, however this is not essential if you have the right attitude and you are keen to learn
General Assistants are key roles within the College, and have an important part to play in making the pupils’ experience of College life the best it can be. As a General Assistant you will work within our boarding houses undertaking general cleaning duties, such as cleaning pupils’ rooms, bathrooms, and common areas of the house, which may include dining rooms and kitchens.You may also be asked to help provide a full dining room service to our pupils. This includes undertaking general cleaning duties and assisting with Chambers and Messing Teas. The work that you do helps to ensure that the house is as welcoming and homely as possible.
Please note: This is a casual hours role. Availability to work week days, evenings and weekends is essential.
**Due to the college currently being closed, the recruitment process for these roles may take longer than usual. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.**
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.