We are seeking to appoint a Curatorial Assistant for the Fine & Decorative Art (FDA) collection. This person will join the existing team of two: Keeper of Fine & Decorative Art (full time) and the Assistant Keeper of Fine & Decorative Art (part time). The role involves contributing to day-to-day operations and the management of the collection, as well as assisting in making the collection accessible to a wider audience, both within the college and beyond.
An important aspect of the role will be maintaining documentation and implementing collections management procedures. The role encompasses a varied range of tasks and offers opportunities to broaden and develop curatorial skills.
Start Date - September 2021
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
The Curatorial Assistant will have the ability to work independently as well as part of a team. Key stakeholders include, but are not limited to:
Skills and Competencies Required
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
The Ideal Candidate
- In depth knowledge of museums, their key procedures and ways of working, including an understanding of collections management procedures, storage and museum documentation.
- Relevant post-graduate qualification in museum studies or a related field.
- Specialist knowledge of an aspect of fine or decorative art relevant to the collection.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses
- Salary - £12,900 per annum (FTE, £21,500)
- Contract type – Permanent Part-Time
- Hours per week – 21 hours , 52 weeks per year – preferred working arrangement: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, although there may be scope for flexibility.
- Holiday entitlement – 21 days (pro-rata)
**Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, the recruitment process for these roles may take longer than usual. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.**
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an environment that values and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.