Key Tasks and Responsibilities
Website, Social Media & Newswriting
- Update content of the external website on an on-going basis including gathering and developing content from relevant stakeholders and sources
- Assist in the development of the College’s online presence, including creating or coordinating the creation of content for use on the College’s social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and Vimeo
- Support the Master i/c of the Press Office in the publishing of news stories for the website including creating photo galleries
- Write engaging news articles for the website
Photography and Video
- Support the College photographer and Filmmaker-in-residence in the production of imagery for the College
- Where necessary take photos for use on the College website and social channels with College equipment
- Manage the College photo and video libraries ensuring all content is uploaded, tagged and in accordance with the College’s Photography Policy
- Support the Communications Manager in the creation and design of e-newsletters and publications to communicate with different groups within the Eton College community as well as producing compelling written and visual content
- Use design skills to ensure all communications materials have impact and are appropriate to the audience
- Commitment to equality, diversity & inclusion
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), a cycle to work scheme and free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities.
The Ideal Candidate
Skills and Competencies Required
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
Skills & Attributes:
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to adapt style to convey relevant messages accurately and effectively
- Excellent organisational skills, with ability to manage a busy workload and meet deadlines
- Excellent IT skills and a willingness/aptitude to develop these; in particular, knowledge of MS Office is required, and existing knowledge of Adobe creative packages: InDesign & Photoshop desirable
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- A creative flair for design, with exceptional attention to detail
- Personal warmth to engage positively and gain the confidence and trust of staff and pupils
- Reliability and flexibility with a ‘can-do’ approach to all duties and responsibilities
- Diplomacy and discretion with a professional approach at all times
Eton College has an exciting opportunity for a Communications Assistant to support the Communications Manager on the delivery of an effective communications plan.
With a keen eye for detail, and strong creative flair, you will be pivotal in generating and editing content across a wide range of platforms, as well as maintaining and upholding our brand identity.
This could be a first step on the ladder of a career in communications but equally we welcome applications from those with experience in journalism, broadcast, design or photography looking to diversify their skills. However, we are seeking applicants who have exceptional writing skills, this is essential.
The hours of work for this role are 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday however there may be occasions when the post holder will be required to work flexible hours including weekends.
Please note: Interviews are expected to take place on Tuesday 17th March 2020.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.