Our Catering Supervisors are fundamental to ensuring that they support the Catering Manager in developing and managing the catering services in the Boarding Houses. The Boarding Houses are integral to the boys’ lives; therefore the Catering Services has a direct impact on the boys’ experience of life at Eton College and their overall nutritional welfare.
You will be responsible for the supervision of the some of the Boarding House Catering Teams.
As a member of the Boarding House community you will also have the opportunity to be actively involved in the life of the House, for example through involvement in boys’ sports, plays and musical productions.
Please note: This post is for 40 hours over 6 days per week, term time only including some weekends. Early and late shifts are required.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Work alongside the Catering Management Team, Housemasters, Dames to ensure the smooth, efficient and effective catering service in the Boarding House. In addition to act as cover for the Assistant Catering Manager. These duties include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure consistency in the quality of menus and standards across the Boarding Houses are maintained at all times
- Assist in developing the minimum agreed menu standards and supervising the delivery and presentation of meals
- Supporting the Assistant Catering Managers the day to day management of the Catering Teams to ensure adequate staffing cover in the Boarding Houses;
- As required preparing food in the Boarding House
- Providing appropriate cover for houses when required
- Adhere to all parts of Eton College Food Hygiene Policy and Food Safety Management System
- Ensure the kitchens are achieving Eton College environmental and recycling targets and reducing food waste
- Attend all annual training (practical and legal) as requested
- Be flexible to work across the catering operation in the College as required
- Providing support to the Kitchen and Dining room assistants;
- To support and manage all aspects of production and presentation of service, having regard for delivering high standards of health and safety, hygiene, nutritional value and allergen control and ensure non-compliance is reported.
- Ensure expectations are met with the House Master and Dame to ensure house functions are catered and appropriately run
- Keeping an eye on staff dynamics and reporting any concerns to the Catering Manager;
- Undertaking any other reasonable duties to help facilitate the smooth running of the Boarding House catering services.
- A mixture of early and late shifts with some weekend work will be required
Potential Career Progression
We are keen to help our employees progress their careers. For those who would like to increase their level of responsibility, there is scope to develop and move to a Catering Manager role of equivalent position. There are also a variety of other roles within the College, which you could move into, depending on your skills and experience.
The Ideal Candidate
Skills and Competencies Required
You may enjoy this role, if:
- Practical hands on catering experience ideally both front and back of house
- Qualified to Level 2 Professional Cookery or above and/or equivalent practical experience
- Flair and passion for Food
- A minimum of Level 2 in Food Hygiene Certificate
- Experience of allergen management
- Experience of catering for special diets
- Understanding of Health and Safety legislation
- Understanding of Food Hygiene legislation
- Ability to supervise and motivate members of the catering team
- You have a flexible approach to work and a ‘can do’ attitude;
- You have great attention to detail and take pride in your work – you’re keen to deliver the highest possible standards and you understand the impact your work has on boys who are away from home, especially boys who have recently joined the College and who are in unfamiliar surroundings
- You enjoy working as part of a team and you are happy to get stuck in and support your colleagues
- Ability to nurture a good working relationship with other departments
- You’re able to work unsupervised and use your own initiative
- You have good verbal communication skills
- You have good time management skills, well presented and have the ability to prioritise
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an environment that values and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.