We are hiring full time Catering Assistants to join our team!
As a Catering Assistant, you will work within our Central Catering team, supporting the activities of our boarding houses. In particular, you will help to provide a full dining service during house meals, supporting the chef team with food preparation and food presentation, and undertake the required cleaning in the kitchen and dining areas of the house.
No experience is required as training will be given.
Due to the needs of the school and the department, we may interview suitable candidates before the closing date. This job may also close early if a large number of applications are received. You are advised to submit your application as early as possible to avoid missing your chance to apply.
- Ensuring that the kitchen, service areas and dining areas are clean and tidy, and at the standard of cleanliness required by statutory regulations and in line with the Service Level Agreements in place;
- Assisting the chef team with the preparation and presentation of meals and snacks, including meals for house functions and events;
- Setting up dining spaces in advance of meals and clearing away afterwards;
- Bringing food and beverages from the kitchen to the dining areas and either serving the meals or assisting pupils and guests to serve themselves (this will be dependent on the style of the meal and is under the direction of the Chef);
- Washing up crockery and cooking equipment.
- Commitment and promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion;
- All positions at Eton are classed as ‘regulated activity’ as per the Keeping Children Safe in Education 2022 guidance, therefore a good understanding of safeguarding procedures is essential;
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, including by not limited to, completing safeguarding training as required, and ensuring any safeguarding updates issued by the College are read and understood;
- Understand and comply with procedures and legislation relating to confidentiality.
Please see attached job description for full duties.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
- A flexible approach to work and a ‘can do’ attitude;
- Great attention to detail and takes pride in your work – you’re keen to deliver the highest possible standards and you understand the impact your work has on pupils who are away from home, especially pupils who have recently joined the College and who are in unfamiliar surroundings;
- Enjoy working as part of a team and you are happy to get stuck in and support your colleagues;
- Enjoy engaging with young people and you are keen to develop good professional relationships with the pupils, and you will always act in the pupils’ best interests;
- Have good verbal communication skills;
- Excellent punctuality and be well presented;
- Ideally, you will have worked in a similar role, however, this is not essential if you have the right attitude and you are keen to learn.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
If you have any queries about the application process or any problem with submitting your application online, the Recruitment Team will be happy to help. Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to apply online, please do not hesitate to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org so we can make adjustments accordingly.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including reference checks with past employers, an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service, an online search and, where applicable, a Barred List, Prohibition and EEA checks. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to complete a DBS Disclosure Application Form. Any information disclosed will be handled in accordance with any guidance and/or Code of Practice published by the DBS. The College is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore all convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered as “spent” under the Act) must be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College.