Catering Assistant (Maternity Cover)
We are seeking a Catering Assistant to join our team in Central Catering for a Fixed-Term Maternity Cover.
As a Catering Assistant you will work within our Central Catering team, supporting the activities of our boarding houses. You will help to provide a full dining service during house meals, assist with Chambers and Messing teas, support the chef team with food preparation and food presentation and undertake the required cleaning in the kitchen and dining areas of the house.
Please be advised this role will include evenings and weekends on a Term-Time Only basis (40.6 paid weeks per year).
- Ensuring that the kitchen, service areas and dining areas are clean and tidy, and at the standard of cleanliness required by statutory regulations and in line with the Service Level Agreements in place;
- Assisting the chef team with the preparation and presentation of meals and snacks, including meals for house functions and events;
- Setting up dining spaces in advance of meals and clearing away afterwards;
- Bringing food and beverages from the kitchen to the dining areas and either serving the meals or assisting pupils and guests to serve themselves (this will be dependent on the style of the meal and is under the direction of the Chef);
- Washing up crockery and cooking equipment;
- Cleaning fridges and store cupboards;
- Taking deliveries on behalf of the kitchen team when required;
- Supervising messing teas as and when necessary. Messing tea is a time when pupils make their own drinks and snacks in a designated kitchen area. Supervision includes setting up the items needed for tea and clearing away afterwards, as well as overseeing pupil activity and behaviour;
- Providing waiting services as required;
- Providing support at a minimum of four House/School events per academic year (these are normally the Fourth of June celebrations, Leavers Lunch, St Andrews Day and Founders Feast). Please note, there is the opportunity to work at more events than those you are contracted to, for which you would receive additional pay;
- Inform the Dame and the House Master immediately if you have any concerns about a pupil so they can be effectively supported – for example, if they are not happy, seem unwell, are not eating at meal times, or you think they are being bullied;
- Delivering outstanding levels of customer service;
- Attend all mandatory food safety and health and safety staff training;
- Ensuring health and safety regulations are followed at all times;
- Undertaking any other duties as reasonably required;
- Keeping up to date with the School’s Safeguarding and Child Protection procedures;
- Commitment to equality, diversity & inclusion;
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
Please refer to the attached job description for further details.
The Ideal Candidate
You may enjoy this role, if:
- You have a flexible approach to work and a ‘can do’ attitude;
- You have great attention to detail and take pride in your work – you’re keen to deliver the highest possible standards and you understand the impact your work has on pupils who are away from home, especially pupils who have recently joined the College and who are in unfamiliar surroundings;
- You enjoy working as part of a team and you are happy to get stuck in and support your colleagues;
- You enjoy engaging with young people and you are keen to develop good professional relationships with the pupils, and you will always act in the pupils’ best interests;
- You have good verbal communication skills;
- You are punctual and well presented;
- Ideally you will have worked in a similar role, however this is not essential if you have the right attitude and you are keen to learn.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an environment that values and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.