Casual Staff Nurse
We are seeking enthusiastic and committed individuals to join the College as a Casual Staff Nurse to provide emergency cover which will also include on-call shifts. The role of Casual Staff Nurse is to provide nursing care to pupils and first aid to staff. You will also be responsible for providing a basic assessment of minor illness and injury, monitoring long-term conditions, keeping records of patient consultations, drug administration and updating immunisation records. You will also run nursing clinics such as morning surgery, asthma, vaccination and wound care clinics.
Due to the needs of the school and the department, we may interview suitable candidates before the closing date. This job may also close early if a large number of applications are received. You are advised to submit your application as early as possible to avoid missing your chance to apply.
- Responsible for providing nursing care for in-patients and out-patients
- Ensure observations of in-patients are updated regularly and recorded accurately
- Responsible for the general care of pupils who are unwell in the Health Centre, supplying them with a light meal if required (the College provides training on food hygiene)
- Supervise morning surgery with the doctors; ensuring pupils who are in-patients are seen daily by their doctor
- Assist with care of out-patients including triage, venepuncture and wound care
- Responsible for administration of medicines and treatments; including asthma care and allergy care
- Carry out assessments and provide treatment of minor injuries and sport injuries
- Provide travel immunisations and routine immunisations
- Be involved in health promotion and health education of a variety of topics
- Ensure medicals are carried out for all new pupils, accurately updating their records (with height, weight, urine, BP, VA, PEFR, etc)
- Active participation in training and team development activities, including training sessions for Dames on subjects such as but not limited to asthma, epilepsy and anaphylaxis
- Provide “First Aid” care to college staff while on site
- Exhibit a flexible approach to working on a rota basis of late and early shifts, which will include being on-call at night and to provide necessary cover where needed
- Promote good general nursing care
- Work within the relevant legislation, policies and procedures
- Undertaking other duties not specifically stated which from time to time are necessary without altering the nature or level of responsibility
- Commitment and promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion;
- All positions at Eton are classed as ‘regulated activity’ as per the Keeping Children Safe in Education 2021 guidance, therefore a good understanding of safeguarding procedures is essential;
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, including by not limited to, completing safeguarding training as required, and ensuring any safeguarding updates issued by the College are read and understood;
- Understand and comply with procedures and legislation relating to confidentiality.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
- Registered Nurse status with valid NMC PIN;
- Education or continuing education within nursing; with a minimum of 2 years post registration experience
- Dual qualification RN/Child Branch is desirable
- Clear understanding of the NMC code of conduct
- Experience working with immunisations, diabetes, asthma and minor injury/illness is desirable
- Experience in health education and health promotion is desirable
- Experience of working with young people in a school environment is desirable
- Well organised with an eye for detail
- Confidence to use own initiative, but also know when to ask for help and guidance
- To be able to work in a team
- Great communication skills
- Good IT skills
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including; an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme (where applicable), free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discount at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
If you have any queries about the application process or any problem with submitting your application online, the Recruitment Team will be happy to help. Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to apply online, please do not hesitate to contact us on email@example.com so we can make adjustments accordingly.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including reference checks with past employers, an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service and, where applicable, a Barred List, Prohibition and EEA checks. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to complete a DBS Disclosure Application Form. Any information disclosed will be handled in accordance with any guidance and/or Code of Practice published by the DBS. The College is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore all convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered as “spent” under the Act) must be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College.