Casual Sports Facilities Assistant (equivalent to Duty Manager)
We are looking for Sports Facilities Assistants to ensure a safe environment for all our sports centre users. You will be joining Eton at an exciting time, as Eton embarks on the next stage of embracing education through sport. By 2022 we will have brand new indoor facilities, including a new swimming pool and two sports halls. These will all complement our fantastic current outdoor facilities, which include approximately 40 football/rugby pitches, a 2km rowing lake, 19 cricket pitches and 50 tennis courts.
Our Sports Facilities Assistants will have particular responsibility for opening and closing all sites including our gymnasium, swimming pool (lifeguarding included) and all-weather pitches, overseeing the health and safety of users during activities and being the first point of contact for the cleanliness of these sites.
Due to the needs of the school and the department, we may interview suitable candidates before the closing date. This job may also close early if a large number of applications are received. You are advised to submit your application as early as possible to avoid missing your chance to apply.
- Ensure that all health and safety duties are carried out in accordance with NOP/EAP procedures and following procedures in the Staff Information File.
- When on shift, full ownership of facilities; ensuring the user’s safety and correct use of our fitness, all-weather and swimming pool facilities (lifeguarding is included in this role).
- Managing all other facilities, such as changing rooms, showers and toilets and other communal areas.
- Carry out lifeguard duties overseeing the general safety and behaviour of the public to prevent misuse and damage to facilities.
- Act as first point of contact for all users when on duty.
- Setting up fitness sessions , such as assembly and dismantling of equipment (ie. lane ropes and diving blocks, trampolines, Hockey goals and football goals)
- Ensuring Eton’s policies and procedures are followed at all times, as well as additional guidelines as laid out in the Centre’s Staff Information file.
- Assist the Manager with implementing new services and facilities.
- To work on a shift basis to ensure adequate staffing levels to cope with the changing customer and operational demands of the Sports Centre this will include bank holidays and weekends.
- To report any maintenance issues via PINKS system.
- Undertake other duties as requested by the Sports facilities Manager on days/events that fall outside of the normal schedule.
- Any other duties reasonably requested by the Sports facilities Manager or senior management.
- To contribute to the continuous improvement of the services of Eton College.
- To comply with relevant Codes of Practice, including the Code of Conduct and policies concerning data protection and health and safety.
- To adhere to security requirements as mandated by the Eton policies, procedures and local risk assessments to maintain confidentiality, integrity, availability and legal compliance of information and systems.
- Deliver high quality and approachable services, as well as having the ability to adapt to differing processes and expectations.
- Attend staff training on a regular basis (currently once a month) to practice practical skills and to cover department issues.
- Commitment and promotion of equality, diversity & inclusion;
- All positions at Eton are classed as ‘regulated activity’ as per the Keeping Children Safe in Education 2021 guidance, therefore a good understanding of safeguarding procedures is essential;
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, including by not limited to, completing safeguarding training as required, and ensuring any safeguarding updates issued by the College are read and understood;
- Understand and comply with procedures and legislation relating to confidentiality.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
- Knowledge of the importance of Health and Safety procedures in relation to leisure/ sports facilities.
- National pool lifeguard qualification and previous lifeguard experience is essential.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people, for the purposes of providing advice/guidance, as well as information and assistance on services offered and the operation of equipment.
- Ability to maintain and keep records up to date.
- To be able to demonstrate team player attitude and the desire to help and assist others when needed.
- Accountability for achieving the best possible outcomes – a ‘can do’ attitude to work.
- Ability to be able to work independently and show a proactive attitude whilst adhering to instructions given by Sports Facilities Manager.
- A First Aid qualification
- A recognised fitness qualification or sports/recreation or management qualification.
- A Pool Plant qualification.
- Experience of working within a leisure environment at duty manager or equivalent level
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including; an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme (where applicable), free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discount at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
If you have any queries about the application process or any problem with submitting your application online, the Recruitment Team will be happy to help. Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to apply online, please do not hesitate to contact us on email@example.com so we can make adjustments accordingly.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to complete a DBS Disclosure Application Form. Any information disclosed will be handled in accordance with any guidance and/or Code of Practice published by the DBS. The College is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore all convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered as “spent” under the Act) must be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College.