Casual School Nurse
We are seeking an enthusiastic and committed individual to join the College as Casual Staff Nurse providing emergency cover. The role of Casual Staff Nurse is to provide nursing care to pupils and first aid to staff. You will also be responsible for providing basic assessment of minor illness and injury, monitoring long-term conditions, keeping records of patient consultations, drug administration and updating immunisation records. You will also run nursing clinics such as morning surgery, asthma, vaccination and wound care clinics.
Please note that we are keen to move quickly on this position, so we may interview suitable candidates before the closing date. If this is the case, the advert may close early, so please don't delay if you are interested!
- Responsible for providing nursing care for in-patients and out-patients
- Ensure observations of in-patients are updated regularly and recorded accurately
- Responsible for the general care of pupils who are unwell in the Health Centre, supplying them with a light meal if required (the College provides training on food hygiene)
- Supervise morning surgery with the doctors; ensuring pupils who are in-patients are seen daily by their doctor
- Assist with care of out-patients including triage, venepuncture and wound care
- Responsible for administration of medicines and treatments; including asthma care and allergy care
- Carry out assessments and provide treatment of minor injuries and sport injuries
- Provide travel immunisations and routine immunisations
- Be involved in health promotion and health education of a variety of topics
- Ensure medicals are carried out for all new pupils, accurately updating their records (with height, weight, urine, BP, VA, PEFR, etc)
- Active participation in training and team development activities
- Provide “First Aid” care to college staff while on site
- Exhibit a flexible approach to working on a rota basis of late and early shifts, which will include being on-call at night and to provide necessary cover where needed
- Promote good general nursing care
- Work within the relevant legislation, policies and procedures
- Undertaking other duties not specifically stated which from time to time are necessary without altering the nature or level of responsibility
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have the following:
- Registered Nurse with valid NMC PIN
- Education or continuing education within nursing; with a maximum of 2 years post registration experience
- Good IT skills, including use of EMIS
- Dual qualification RN/Child Branch is desirable
- Experience working on Vaccination, Diabetes, Asthma and sports injury is desirable
- Experience of working with young people in a school environment is highly desirable
- Confidence to use own initiative, but also know when to ask for help and guidance
- Great communication skills
- An eye for detail – you will be key to making sure our data is captured and recorded accurately.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to complete a DBS Disclosure Application Form. Any information disclosed will be handled in accordance with any guidance and/or Code of Practice published by the DBS. The College is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore all convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered as “spent” under the Act) must be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College.