The Custodians are required to supervise the safe and secure operation of the college’s three museums and gallery spaces on Sunday afternoons throughout the year. Custodians will be required to welcome and interact enthusiastically with visitors of all ages. You will have the opportunity to create engagement materials for Sunday visitors and contribute to online engagement with the gallery and museum collections. The ability to operate some flexibility in working times, for example working on some Saturday afternoons and the ability to participate in particular events such as Family Learning Events would be an advantage.
Please be advised we are planning to hold face-to-face interviews on Thursday 25th November 2021.
- Supervising the safe and secure operation of the museums and galleries during Sunday opening hours (three hours);
- The ability to cover shifts on Saturday afternoons would be desirable;
- Interacting positively with visitors of all ages;
- Assisting with the creation and delivery of learning and interpretation materials;
- Contributing to online engagement using the museums and galleries social media accounts;
- Carrying out administrative and maintenance tasks around the gallery;
- Commitment to equality, diversity & inclusion;
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role, the applicant should have:
- A responsible, organised, friendly and proactive approach;
- A good understanding of spoken and written English;
- Able to interact with visitors and speak with clarity, confidence and enthusiasm about objects in the collection;
- Operate as part of a team and able to work together with the Senior Custodian and other members of the College Collections team to oversee the Museums and Galleries, their activities and resources;
- Commitment to the ethos of Eton College;
- Sound IT skills including Microsoft Office.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to complete a DBS Disclosure Application Form. Any information disclosed will be handled in accordance with any guidance and/or Code of Practice published by the DBS. The College is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore all convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered as “spent” under the Act) must be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College.