We are currently looking for casual cleaners to to provide ad-hoc sickness, emergency and holiday cover to support our cleaning department. As a Casual Cleaner you will be responsible for undertaking general cleaning duties throughout the school, such as cleaning classrooms, offices, pupil bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, common areas, and pavilions. These are casual, bank positions which means we will contact you with hours available and it is up to you which hours you wish to accept. Work opportunities are available all year round, with peak times during term time. Working days include week days and weekends, from 6am to 6pm.
General cleaning duties:
- Sweeping, vacuum cleaning, dusting, wiping down surfaces and polishing;
- Cleaning showers, bathrooms and toilets, unblocking toilets if necessary (a plumber will be used for any complex issues), and making sure that toilet rolls and dispensers are full and working;
- Stripping and making beds, sending bedsheets to the Laundry once per week;
- Helping to send the pupils’ clothes to Laundry once per week;
- Emptying bins and putting out bins as required on refuse collection day;
- Using the appropriate powered equipment for tasks such as vacuuming, shampooing, scrubbing and polishing floors (training will be provided as required);
- Undertaking minor maintenance tasks, such as changing lightbulbs or tightening screws;
- Moving small items of furniture and mattresses as required to enable efficient and effective cleaning;
- Performing cyclical cleaning duties, such as steam cleaning carpets, deep cleaning bedrooms, offices, classrooms etc. This type of work normally takes place during the school holiday periods;
- At all times carrying out duties in line with COSHH regulations and the school’s relevant policies, including Security, Health and Safety, and Fire Prevention;
- Keeping an eye on the general maintenance of the school. If you identify something that needs to be fixed or repairs that need to be made which cannot be carried out by the Cleaning team, this should be reported to your Cleaning Supervisor;
- Informing the Dame of the boarding house immediately if you notice any issues with a pupil, so that they can be effectively supported – for example, if they seem unwell, you find something in room that should not be there, or you think they are being bullied;
- Keeping up to date with the College’s Safeguarding and Child Protection procedures; Commitment to equality, diversity & inclusion Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children
The Ideal Candidate
Whilst you will ideally have previous experience in a commercial cleaning role, we are happy to offer the right candidates full training in the role. To be successful in this role, you will need:
- A flexible approach to work and a ‘can do’ attitude;
- Great attention to detail and pride in your work;
- To enjoy working as part of a team and happy to get stuck in and support your colleagues;
- To be able to work unsupervised and use your own initiative;
- Good verbal communication skills;
- To be punctual and well presented, with good time management skills
Please note interviews will be ongoing for these vacancies and this advert may be closed before the closing date.
Free access to Eton's sports and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to complete a DBS Disclosure Application Form. Any information disclosed will be handled in accordance with any guidance and/or Code of Practice published by the DBS. The College is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore all convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered as “spent” under the Act) must be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College.