We are looking for a meticulous and dedicated person to join us as a Biology Technician. With a strong background in Biology which you may have gained either in education, academia or industry, you will support practicals and demonstrations for Masters in the Biology Department.
Working in our newly refurbished Queens School, you will have an outstanding knowledge of Biology, and be able to use your organisational skills to work as part of a dynamic team of technicians within the Department.
- Knowing the availability of suitable materials and equipment, and conducting both routine and non-routine; checking, cleaning, maintenance, calibration, testing and repairing of equipment to the required standard.
- Setting up and clearing away demonstration apparatus and practical work
- Working with others in the department to acquire a wider range of technical skills, and sharing own skills on to others
- Learning and understanding new equipment and demonstrations
- Working safely within the guidelines laid down by the senior technician
- Stock-keeping and organising display materials
- Construction, maintenance and repair of equipment
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
- Good knowledge of the relevant science subject
- Strong IT skills
- Good levels of literacy and numeracy
- The ability to work flexibly as part of a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Excellent organisational skills
- Enthusiastic, energetic, flexible with a pro-active attitude
- Positive approach to change and development
- Close attention to detail
- A sense of humour and a genuine understanding and liking of our students
This post is 38.75 hours per week working term time only for 40.6 weeks of the year which includes three days before and after every term. Please note this will include Saturday mornings and occasional late working. There is also the option of undertaking regular visits to the department to water / feed the plants and animals during the holidays for an additional financial remittance.
Interviews for this role will take place on Tuesday 10th and Thursday 12th November 2020
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an environment that values and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.