Assistant School Librarian
The Assistant Librarian will support the Librarian in the day to day running of the School Library. This will involve a variety of tasks, from organising resources, to promoting services to pupils and the College community. Also, the role will be key in promoting and maintaining an atmosphere that supports study, which will involve ensuring positive behaviour from the boys, as well as engaging with visitors, offering support and dealing with any queries in a pro-active manner.
Interviews for this role will be held the week commencing 21st February 2022.
- Assisting School Librarian in the management and development of the school library facilities and resources
- Assisting in the day-to-day running of the library and maintaining an atmosphere conducive to study
- Supervision and behavioural management of boys where necessary
- Assisting School Librarian in selection of book stock and other resource items
- Assisting in promoting and developing library awareness throughout the school
- Assisting in the delivery of programmes of inductions and information literacy
- Assisting as required in non-professional duties e.g. labelling, covering, repair and shelving of stock etc
- Assisting with the processing, classification and cataloguing of new stock on the Heritage Cirqa library management system
- Undertaking enquiry desk duties where necessary, including issuing and returns
- Assisting both pupils and staff with general, reference and IT enquiries
- Organisation of displays to promote library use
- Assisting in the departmental libraries should the need arise
- All positions at Eton are classed as ‘regulated activity’ as per the Keeping Children Safe in Education 2021 guidance, therefore a good understanding of safeguarding procedures is essential;
- Commitment and promotion of equality, diversity & inclusion
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, including by not limited to, completing safeguarding training as required, and ensuring any safeguarding updates issued by the College are read and understood.
- Understand and comply with procedures and legislation relating to confidentiality.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
- Library experience is extremely desirable and ideally have been gained in a school environment
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
- Well-organised and efficient, with a strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Knowledge, understanding and competence in IT
- Ability to manage and communicate with large groups of young people
- Behavioural management skills
- Learning support skills
- Ability to manage and disseminate information in a range of different media
- Knowledge of children’s literature and information sources
- Previous cataloguing experience highly desirable
- Energy, enthusiasm and initiative
- Confidence in dealing with all members of the school and the wider community
- A professional qualification in librarianship is desirable but not essential
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
If you have any queries about the application process or any problem with submitting your application online, the Recruitment Team will be happy to help. Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to apply online, please do not hesitate to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org so we can make adjustments accordingly.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to complete a DBS Disclosure Application Form. Any information disclosed will be handled in accordance with any guidance and/or Code of Practice published by the DBS. The College is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore all convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered as “spent” under the Act) must be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College.