We are looking for a motivated and meticulous person to join us on a fixed-term contract as an Archives Assistant helping with the running of the service. The main responsibilities of the post will be to assist the Archivist with cataloguing, enquiry and outreach work. You will be a graduate intending to apply for a postgraduate archive training course and wishing to gain experience of all aspects of archive work.
Please be advised that the contract dates are October 2020 to September 2021
- To arrange and catalogue collections on the electronic catalogue
- To assist with the rehousing of collections in line with best-practice methods
- To assist the Archivist with displays/exhibitions and events for both internal and external audiences
- To support the Archivist in developing the school’s digital archive of electronic records
- To answer enquiries from College pupils, staff and members of the public
- To make the archives available to readers by producing archival material for consultation, supervising its use and providing advice
- To assist generally with the work of the Archives and College Collections
- Commitment to equality, diversity & inclusion
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children
Training for the SSL software and ArchivesIndexPlus will be given.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
- A good first degree in a relevant subject with a genuine intention to study for a post graduate qualification in Archive Management or similar heritage sector qualification.
- A commitment to the profession
- A genuine interest in history and in preserving records for posterity
- Good communication skills
- A high level of commitment to customer service and making materials accessible
- Good organisational ability to manage a wide range of tasks
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- The ability to skim and understand an extensive and varied range of material
- Adaptability and a high degree of flexibility
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Good IT skills and an interest in applying digital technology to archival practice
The closing date is 14th August at midnight, with virtual interviews taking place week commencing 31st August 2020.
For an informal discussion about the post please contact Eleanor Hoare, College Archivist, on 01753 370592, or email email@example.com.
Full details and an application form are available from our website:
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including; an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discount at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.